Thursday 30 April 2015

My Review: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins


4 out of 5 stars.

My favourite crime writer, Karin Slaughter wrote about this book:

"Good thriller, but no Gone Girl. Everyone wants to be the next Gillian Flynn, but Gillian Flynn isn't finished being Gillian Flynn."

I completely agree. It irritates me that every book that has an unreliable narrator,
or an unexpected violent streak is touted as the next Gone Girl. Those were not the only good things about Gone Girl. Also, isn't it a bit pretentious, comparing your first novel to a really successful one, with a movie?

That is my rant, now about this book: It's jolly good. I liked the premise. I really enjoyed the characters - a lot of research is evident, and the prose is excellent. The themes are current, relevant, but not preachy.

I read this on Audible, and the narration was superb. Different voices for the characters, which always make it more enjoyable.

Highly recommended. Couldn't stop listening/reading.

You may also like Luckiest Girl alive by Jessica KnollThe Shut Eye by Belinda Bauer or Second life by SJ Bolton

ISBN:9781594633669

Here are all my reviews and recommendations.

No comments: